May 12th, 2018!
- Friday May 11th at Niumalu Hale:
- Registration 4pm to 6pm
- Safety meeting and dinner 5pm to 6pm
- Saturday May 12th (RACE DAY)
- -8:00am—1st Start
OC-1 Kane 121+
4 Person Relay- 8:30am—2nd Start
All OC-1 Kane except Kane 121+
OC-2 Kane and Mix
- -8:00am—1st Start
– 12:00pm Start SUP Race at Poipu Beach Park
– 12:30pm Competitors arriving at finish line
– 1:15pm to 2:00pm Lunch Served
– 2:00pm Awards
– 2:30pm to 4:30pm Music and Dancing
Race Rules and instructions
- Cost: $100 per competitor before May 1st. $125 after that date. $50 per competitor for 4 person relay and SUP
- The Course: The race begins at Kapa’a Beach Park. The first transition is at Hanamaulu Beach Park. Second transition is Kalapaki Bay. Third transition is Poipu Beach Park and the finish is at Salt Pond. Below is a map (click for a larger version) and click this link for driving directions.
- Race Time: There are two race starts. The first start is at 8am for all OC-1 wahine, OC-1 Kane 121+, OC-1 mix, 4 person relay teams, and OC-2 wahine teams. The second start is at 8:30am for everyone else. If you are in the first start your canoe number with start with the number one. If you are in the second start your canoe number will start with the number two.
- Race Jerseys: All competitors are required to wear their Kauai World Challenge jersey provided in their race packet.
- Canoe Number: All canoes must have a Kauai World Challenge race number placed on the right front side of their canoes.
- The Transition: At each transition leg the incoming paddler must go around the buoy before exchanging with their partner. Their must be a partner switch at each change. This means one partner cannot do two consecutive legs. Failure to go around the buoy or do a partner exchange at any transition point may result in time penalties.
- Leg Four Finish Buoys: All competitors must stay to the left of all Moana Kai buoys on leg four of the relay. Failure to keep to the left of the buoy will result in disqualification.
- Safety Buoys: Please pay special attention to all Moana Kai buoys along race course. These buoys indicate surf breaks and you should always stay to the left of these buoys along the course. Cutting of any buoy can result in damage to yourself or canoes.
- Prize Money: Prize money allocation is scaled based on number of entries in a specific category. There must be a minimum of three entries excluding elite winners to be eligible for prize money. However, all eligible categories may not receive prize money as it will be awarded in descending order based on number of entries.
- Age Categories: OC-1 Under 40, 41-60, 61-80, 81-100, 101-120, 121-129, 130 plus. OC-2 Under 160 and Over 160. Category is determined based on the sum of all ages for each team member on race day.
Cut Off Times: All competitors must reach Poipu Beach Park by 1:00PM. Any competitor who has not reached Poipu Beach Park by 1:00PM will receive a DNF (Did Not Finish).